Georgette Harvey, youthlink writer
This year is all about re-embracing independence and becoming more everything; more involved, more active, more loving and proud. How can you achieve all this? By taking it one step at a time and learning how to do it yourself?!
In the world of fashion there's a word that's frowned upon by some yet it's a lifesaver for others ... dum da da dum - budget. Youthlink spent time with local designer Simone Michelle to learn how to expand your closet by altering some of the items you already own. This week, the creator of the fashion line MiSim shows us how to make a necklace/headband out of a T-shirt and how to make a bodycon skirt with only a few simple steps.
How to make the T-shirt necklace/headband:
Set out a T-shirt on a flat surface.
Have a scissors on hand.
1. Fold the T-shirt in half, down the middle, cut the base hem off the shirt.
2. Count two inches upwards from the cut line then cut a two-inch strip.
3. Place the strip on top of the shirt to make duplicate strips (leave an extra strip to use later).
4. Continue cutting strips from the shirt upwards until you reach the armpit diagonal and cannot cut anymore.
5. Stretch and extend each strip of the remains of the T-shirt.
6. Line up all seams, one in front of the other.
7. Twist the strips.
8. Fold the strips to make a secondary circle.
9. Stretch the secondary circle for extension.
10. Use the spare strip as the tie to wrap and enclose all the excess strips.
11. Tie the extra strip in a bow and continue wrapping the other cords.
12. After wrapping the excess cord around the seams of the other strips to its end, tuck the loose end of the strip inside its wrapped length (you can use a scissors to ensure it is tucked all the way in).
13. Your necklace or headband is officially completed like magic (you can stretch it to your desired length).
Follow MiSim's video tutorial at www.youthlinkjamaica.com to see how she made a simple but elegant bodycon skirt out of two pieces of fabric.